The following training programs are offered through the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work and Department of Psychiatry to facilitate the dissemination of Cognitive Enhancement Therapy to community agencies who serve adults with severe mental illness.
CET training is appropriate for agencies, not individual practitioners. Agencies interested in obtaining training should complete an application online. Training inquiries without a completed application will not be considered. Please refer to the training requirement guidelines below when considering whether or not CET is right for your agency.
- Serves outpatients with schizophrenia-spectrum disorders
- Employs master’s-level clinicians with 2+ years experience in schizophrenia-spectrum disorders
- Two (2) or more master’s-level clinicians are available for training at a single site; at least 2 master’s level clinicians are required to conduct the CET social-cognitive group sessions
- A sizable (> 25/year) number of patients would be eligible for CET (stabilized on antipsychotic medication, not abusing alcohol or drugs, IQ > 80)
- Setting provides private office space appropriate for group and individual therapy sessions
The start-up training provides a comprehensive overview of CET, its components, and how to begin a CET program over the course of a 2-day workshop provided onsite at your agency. Content covered includes:
- Background and rationale for CET
- Using the CET manual
- Selection of patients and coaches
- Attention, memory, and problem-solving computer training
- Social-cognitive group training
Training and Supervision
This is the most extensive CET training program available that we offer and it is designed to provide agencies with hands-on guidance for a rigorous and high-fidelity implementation of CET by experienced CET therapists. Training consists of onsite workshops, implementation site visits, and telephone supervision provided over the course of 24 months. Contact training@CognitiveEnhancementTherapy.com for more information.